The David Guy Implant Year Course
About Guy’s Dental Education
Guy’s Dental Education provides continuing education courses for Dentists in Implant dentistry and Restorative dentistry. Founded by David Guy and based at Guy’s Dental Clinic in Cardiff, our aim is to provide high quality practical and theoretical teaching to allow dentists to expand their clinical horizons in general practice.
The course gives a very prominent role to practical teaching as well as theoretical aspects. Practical training involves both hands-on sessions and live surgery. Hands on training on models is provided covering drilling protocols, flap design, suturing, socket grafting and bone augmentation.
A key component of the course is that patients are provided initially and students will treat patients from start to finish under one-to-one supervision at Guy’s Dental Clinic, gaining essential skills and knowledge of real implantology. Participants are encouraged to bring their own patients to gain further experience and any patients treated on the course will pay a reduced fee.
There are 12 lecture days over a one year period. In depth teaching will cover implantology from single tooth to full arch restorations, principles of bone grafting, cone-beam CT scanning and 3D implant planning, Guided Surgery and CAD/CAM implantology. The course is held between Guy’s Dental Clinic and lecture facilities in Cardiff city centre. The course is limited to a maximum number of participants to give an optimum level support to each person.
After The Course
Ongoing mentoring is provided on planning and treatment of more complex cases. You are encouraged to continue bringing your own patients for treatment in order to:
- Gain further confidence through greater experience
- Utilise CBCT and 3D planning techniques and facilities
- Gain experience of using Guided Pilot and Fully Guided Surgery techniques
- Develop bone grafting skills, e.g socket grafting, simultaneous grafts and block grafts
- Treat more complex implant cases
These will normally take place on Friday’s which are not lecture dates. You may attend these sessions when treating patients yourself or optionally to observe other treatments.
Lecture Days 2018-2019
Day 1: 11th May 2018
- Introduction to implants
- BioHorizons system overview
- Implant Placement Techniques
- Osseointegration Mechanisms
Day 2 & 3: 7th June & 8th June 2018
- Case Selection and Assessment
- Principles of Implant Surgery
- Surgical Complications and Management
Day 4 & 5: 5th July & 6th July 2018
- Implants in the Anterior Maxilla and Mandible
- Implants in the Posterior Maxilla and Mandible
- Multiple Implant Treatment
- Consent and Ethics
Day 6: 14th September 2018
- Bone Augmentation Techniques
- Bone Physiology
- Graft Materials
Day 7: 12th October 2018
- Maxillary Sinus Management
- Implant Uncovery
- Implant Restoration
Day 8: 16th November 2018
- Aesthetic Zone
- Face Bow and Articulator Use
Day 9: 18th January 2019
- Removable Implant Restorations
Day 10: 15th February 2019
- Implant maintenance
- Peri-implantitis and its management
Day 11: 15th March 2019
- Cone Beam CT scans
- 3D implant planning
- CAD/CAM implantology
- Guided Surgery Techniques
Day 12: 26th April 2019
- Multidisciplinary Cases
- Alternative Techniques
- Ridge Expansion
- Full Arch Fixed Restorations
The implantology year course fees are £5000 per person payable by instalments. A deposit of £500 secures your place on the course.
Apply for the Implant Year Course by downloading the application form and returning it to Guy’s Dental Clinic.
Once your application has been manually checked and accepted, an invoice will be issued for the deposit of £500. Places on the year course are not confirmed until the deposit has been received.
Only Dentists practising in the UK who are registered with the GDC and have adequate indemnity in place can be accepted onto the course.
If you have not received a reply to your application please telephone 02920 220794.
For FAQs about this course and further information please visit the course website